Collinsport Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PART 3: The Closed Off Room (Carolyn / Elizabeth)

2 posters

Go down

PART 3: The Closed Off Room (Carolyn / Elizabeth) Empty PART 3: The Closed Off Room (Carolyn / Elizabeth)

Post  Carolyn Stoddard 18th September 2009, 18:19

Carolyn watched as Quentin disappeared into thin air; a site that she was used to seeing by now. Not long after she let out a sigh, a melody starting mysteriously playing. "What is that," she said, more or less to herself. She looked at her mother, who was obviously as caught off guard as she.

Looking around the room, Carolyn didn't see anything that could possibly be playing music, yet she heard it ever so clearly. She walked over to the right side of the room, placing her head against the wall. "Mother, I think that it's coming from behind here." Not knowing what to do or how to react, Carolyn continued staring mystically at the wall, as if doing so would shed light on the matter at hand.
Carolyn Stoddard
Carolyn Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

PART 3: The Closed Off Room (Carolyn / Elizabeth) Empty Re: PART 3: The Closed Off Room (Carolyn / Elizabeth)

Post  Elizabeth Stoddard 18th September 2009, 21:54

Elizabeth heard the music too. "That music sounds really old-fashioned. There must be a room behind this wall that he wants us to find," she told Carolyn.

Elizabeth was wearing heels and a dress and didn't feel like moving crates and old mirrors to see if there was a way to get at the room. "Our ancestors treated the west wing like a rubbish heap," she grumbled. They moved things aside and felt along the wall where near where Quentin had disappeared. "I wonder why someone would close off a room like this?"

She moved her hand around inside a small built in alcove where some small statues were and found a lever and pushed it. There was a creaking, groaning noise and the panel moved revealing another wall with a door behind it. "This wasn't built this way, it was added later," she said. "I wonder why."

Both of them looked at the door knob and they could hear the music even better now. "Well, I suppose we should see if it's locked or not." She hestitate and then turned the knob and the door slowly opened.
Elizabeth Stoddard
Elizabeth Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

PART 3: The Closed Off Room (Carolyn / Elizabeth) Empty Re: PART 3: The Closed Off Room (Carolyn / Elizabeth)

Post  Carolyn Stoddard 18th September 2009, 22:20

Carolyn followed close behind her mother through the secret compartment and into the closed off room. There were cobwebs everywhere, and the air was so thick and hot, that it was very miserable. The music had stopped, though she had just noticed.

Carolyn looked around, studying everything, and then her eyes fell upon the most disturbing sight ever. "Mother," she said, letting out a shriek. On a nearby armchair set a century old skeleton. Not wanting to be anywhere near it, she let out a terrified wail and moved as far to the other side of the room as possible.
Carolyn Stoddard
Carolyn Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Stoddard 18th September 2009, 22:27

"Oh good heaven's, is this what he wanted us to see? Do you think that's Quentin?"

Elizabeth was horrified but knew that they wouldn't be allowed to leave. "The last thing I need is to learn that my ancestors walled up a room with a dead person inside. Or even worse, was he dead when he was walled up? Oh Carolyn, what else is under this roof, in this mansion that we call our home?"

She wanted to take a deep breath but it was very musty in the room. "Well, here's the old phonograph that must have been playing the music. I wonder who turned it on and off again."
Elizabeth Stoddard
Elizabeth Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolyn Stoddard 18th September 2009, 22:39

"I really don't know . . . and don't think I want to know, mother." Carolyn couldn't even come to think about all the dead bodies that could be hiding under the roof of Collinwood. "Why would he want us to see this, why?" She felt uneasy about the whole matter at hand, and wished so much that the constant nightmares of Collinwood would cease to exist.

Carolyn moved over to her mother. "Yes, I see that. It's quite a charming thing isn't it? Pretty tarnished, unfortunately. Wonder why the family left something so precious up here to collect dust?" She ran her fingers across the phonograph, leaving clean streaks. Her ancestors most defiantly had their fair share of secrets to hide, and she wandered what the big secrete here was.
Carolyn Stoddard
Carolyn Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Stoddard 18th September 2009, 22:46

"Well, the absolute proper thing to do would be to report this to the authorities. You know, I really don't feel like doing that. I have tried to be so proper all my life and where has it gotten me? If no one has missed this person for a long time, why do we have to stir thing's up now? Can you imagine what George would think if I showed him this, although you can't usually tell by the look on his face."

Elizabeth realized that no one was going to answer these questions for her. She forced herself to look at the skeleton more closely. "Oh Carolyn, Quentin was a very tall man. This couldn't possibly be Quentin Collins. This person could only have been murdered. Why would Quentin bring us to this room?"
Elizabeth Stoddard
Elizabeth Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolyn Stoddard 18th September 2009, 22:52

"Again, mother, I really don't know." Carolyn surveyed the room more closely. She felt as though they were missing something important; something that would make this mystery make more sense. "Would it be so morbid to just dispose of the remains?" Carolyn pondered the words that just came out of her mouth unexpectedly, then moved across the room to a small desk.

"Look," she said, "This has the initials Q.C. carved on it." Carolyn tried to lift the roll top, but it was locked. "I don't know how we are supposed to get into it though, mother, the top is locked." She glanced around on top of the desk for a key or anything that could break the lock.
Carolyn Stoddard
Carolyn Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Stoddard 21st September 2009, 16:59

"Well it seems a shame to break the lock; that's a beautiful desk. Quentin surely knows how to get into it. There are lovely things in here; it's too bad they're all covered with dust."

Elizabeth looked back at the skeleton. "It's wrong not to call the authorities, but I think that's what I'm going to do. This may even be one of our ancestors; they did tend to disappear from time to time. It's just that I don't see how any good can come from an investigation. I don't suppose Quentin will be upset if we get rid of it. He can hear us I'm sure and would be doing his intimidation act if he disapproved."

Elizabeth continued to move around the room now that she was already dusty and had cobwebs on her. "I think I'll ask Joe Haskell to bury it. He doesn't gossip and usually doesn't ask a lot of questions."
Elizabeth Stoddard
Elizabeth Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolyn Stoddard 22nd September 2009, 16:32

"Well what ever you think is best, Mother. I personally wouldn't want to have police snooping about the house, and I can't see what good would even come out of it." Carolyn took another look over at the skeleton, but quickly turned away. "It is quite a disgusting thing, and think that Joe would surely remove of it for you. I can only imagine what he must think of us all after all these years, so what's a skeleton to him?"

Carolyn then turned back to the desk, running her hand across the inscription. "I only wish we could find the key around here somewhere. What ever is in here must have been of some importance, or why else would the desk be locked up in a forgotten room?"
Carolyn Stoddard
Carolyn Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Stoddard 23rd September 2009, 00:46

Elizabeth sneezed a few times and then continued to walk around looking at the small items scattered around the room, picking up some of them to get a closer look. "It's odd, everything looks like it was lived in here and then someone just abandoned it. It's a frozen moment in history left undisturbed for all this time."

She continued looking at the small objects. "It's a rather attractive room, or could be. I can't believe I'm talking about the decor with a grinning skeleton sitting a few feet away. Carolyn, here's a key. I wonder if it will unlock the desk."

Elizabeth walked over to the desk and with a little effort got it open. "Well, look at this. Journals, letters, documents and they all seem to have belonged to Quentin Collins. What a fascinating find! There are some photographs here too. Here is one that looks like Quentin and the woman ghost; it must be Beth. They look happy. Carolyn, he was quite an attractive man when he smiled and managed to look pleasant."
Elizabeth Stoddard
Elizabeth Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolyn Stoddard 23rd September 2009, 18:48

"I can most certainly agree mother," Carolyn said. "He was very charming, too bad that his spirit is restless now." Carolyn flipped through the journal a bit, stopping to read the shorthand that was obviously explaining an experiment involving a stair case. "It is ever so strange to read about what silly things our ancestors did to engage their minds," she said.

After about ten minuets, Carolyn finally came to the conclusion that they had probably found what Quentin had wanted them to find. "Well, Mother, I think that it'd be okay with Quentin if we left for the evening. It's starting to get late, and there really isn't anything in this room that can be accomplished this evening anyway. I'm sure that Joe would be happy to remove that disturbing skeleton tomorrow, and Mrs. Johnson might like coming up here and cleaning around a bit; I'm sure even David would like to look around and help."

Carolyn picked up all of the important looking papers off of the desk and started to leave the room. "For now, I think it best that we just learn what happened to Quentin those last few months or years of his life. I'm sure we can find something of essence here; what do you say?"
Carolyn Stoddard
Carolyn Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Stoddard 24th September 2009, 00:10

"Those are all good ideas; I agree. The first thing though is to ask Joe to bury the skeleton. It might be best if the three of us are the only ones who know anything about it. Or, I guess four counting Quentin." Elizabeth glanced around the room as they were leaving. "We'll see if we can ease the spirit of out ancestor and perhaps get along with him better so he won't disturb the family.

Carolyn and Elizabeth took the journals and letters and left. They were undisturbed by Quentin, so he must have approved.

~end scene~
Elizabeth Stoddard
Elizabeth Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down