Collinsport Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PART 1: Aroused Interests (Carolyn/Elizabeth/Mrs. Johnson)

3 posters

Go down

PART 1: Aroused Interests (Carolyn/Elizabeth/Mrs. Johnson) Empty PART 1: Aroused Interests (Carolyn/Elizabeth/Mrs. Johnson)

Post  Carolyn Stoddard 22nd August 2009, 22:39

Some time had passed since Carolyn and her mother had gained interest in family history and put together a new album. Since then, they had been especially interested in a select few of their ancestors, one of whom was Quentin Collins. They where both quite intrigued with his part in history, and wanted to research more on it. They also thought that it would be nice to hang up one of his portraits in the house; strangely the walls were empty of one of him.

The two sat by the fire in the drawing room, trying to think of where to look for his portrait. They were sure that one existed, but its place in the large Collinwood mansion seemed stressful to think about. It could take hours to search everywhere, and they didn't even know where to begin.

"I do wish we could find it, mother," Carolyn stated as she arose from the sofa and stood beside the mantle. She gazed around at the other portraits in the room, and thought about the other portraits hanging in the house. "I find it so strange that the family didn't want his portrait hung. I wonder why they didn't want it to be proudly displayed?" She then walked over to the window and looked out. "Hopefully, it is stored in one of the places where other portraits are at. I'd hate to think that we'd have to end up looking through endless corridors for it."

Last edited by Carolyn Stoddard on 5th September 2009, 15:53; edited 1 time in total
Carolyn Stoddard
Carolyn Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

PART 1: Aroused Interests (Carolyn/Elizabeth/Mrs. Johnson) Empty Re: PART 1: Aroused Interests (Carolyn/Elizabeth/Mrs. Johnson)

Post  Elizabeth Stoddard 22nd August 2009, 23:05

"You know I don't recall ever seeing a portrait of Quentin Collins outside of a family history book," Elizabeth said. "Most of our ancestors were about the business of making money and being community leaders but not Quentin. They may not have been proud of him but he is one that you still hear stories about. I'm sure portraits of him exist in the abandoned parts of the house."

She thought for awhile. "I really don't think I've ever seen one, but it might not be so hard to find. Don't you think one might still be up on a wall somewhere?"
Elizabeth Stoddard
Elizabeth Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

PART 1: Aroused Interests (Carolyn/Elizabeth/Mrs. Johnson) Empty Re: PART 1: Aroused Interests (Carolyn/Elizabeth/Mrs. Johnson)

Post  Carolyn Stoddard 22nd August 2009, 23:16

"Well, I also have never seen any portraits on the walls, but then again I don't go wondering through the other parts of the house." Carolyn thought for a bit, trying to think up all the places an old portrait would probably be. "I'm guessing, mother, that the portrait could either be in the basement, or upstairs in the west wing. If it were hiding anywhere else, I'm sure we'd already stumbled on it long ago."

The clock in the foyer chimed off the start of another hour in Collins' history, and Carolyn moved towards the door. Just as she was about to step out into the foyer, she nearly ran into Mrs. Johnson. Startled, Carolyn jumped back. "Oh, excuse me Mrs. Johnson," Carolyn politely apologized.
Carolyn Stoddard
Carolyn Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Johnson 22nd August 2009, 23:25

"Oh Carolyn, I didn't mean to startle you. I'm going to start supper soon and was wondering if you needed anything first. Also, do you or Mrs. Stoddard have any requests for what I should fix? I just went shopping this morning and there's quite a few different things I can make....or we could have meat loaf, potatoes and gravy if you want."

Mrs. Johnson waited for a response, looking around the room to see if anything needed picking up.
Mrs. Johnson
Mrs. Johnson
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolyn Stoddard 22nd August 2009, 23:32

"Um, no I have no special requests for dinner Mrs. Johnson, nor do I have anything that I need you to do. What you want to fix is fine with me, unless mother has something special that she wants to eat." Carolyn glanced back at her mother, and then back at Mrs. Johnson, waiting for one of them to say something. "Mother," Carolyn said, figuring that she must have not heard her the first time, "Do you have anything in particular you want for dinner?"
Carolyn Stoddard
Carolyn Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Stoddard 22nd August 2009, 23:49

"No, fix whatever you like Mrs. Johnson. Mr. Collins won't be home for supper so you might as well fix something David likes or the meat loaf is perfectly fine."

"I think we may not be needing any tea this afternoon, Mrs. Johnson. Carolyn and I are wanting to find a portrait of one of our ancestor's....a Quentin Collins and it might take us a little while to find one. If we need anything later we'll go to the kitchen and fix it ourselves. Thank you."

Elizabeth looked at her daughter and wondered where they should start looking.
Elizabeth Stoddard
Elizabeth Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolyn Stoddard 23rd August 2009, 00:36

Once Mrs. Johnson left, Carolyn went out into the foyer to glance at the clock. She then returned back into the drawing room to discuss the portrait more. "Well, I think that if we are going to try and get the portrait found before dinner, then we had better start now. You can check the basement, mother, since I know that you don't like anyone else poking around down there." Carolyn then gazed towards the stairs in the foyer. "I'll go and look around the west wing. I know that I'm probably not going to be able to search it thoroughly, but hopefully I will run across all the places it would possibly be."

Carolyn then studied her mothers expression, deciding whether she was in agreement with this decision. "So, does this sound like a plan? Shall we get started," Carolyn asked, very eagerly.
Carolyn Stoddard
Carolyn Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Stoddard 23rd August 2009, 11:00

"O.K., I'll search the basement. Please take a flashlight Carolyn; it's really dark in some areas of the west wing."

Elizabeth checked her watch. "How about if we plan to meet back here in an hour to take a break. If one of us finds the protrait before that, which I doubt will happen, we can go look for the other." Then she added, "I hope it will be in good enough shape to hang with just a little dusting and that it won't take ages to be restored."
Elizabeth Stoddard
Elizabeth Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolyn Stoddard 23rd August 2009, 11:22

Carolyn agreed to take a flashlight, went to find one, and then headed upstairs. It had been some time since she had been in the west wing, and wasn't sure what kind of state it was currently in. She knew that it would be a little dangerous poking around up there, so she hoped that she wouldn't be there for too long.

As Carolyn made her way into the dark, musty west wing, she began to wish that someone had come with her. She wasn't scared exactly, but at the same time she wasn't thrilled to be walking alone in a part of the house were no one could hear her if she screamed.

Minuets passed as Carolyn searched rooms, one at a time. The ones she had gotten to so far were practically bare, so it didn't take very long to check and see if Quentin's portrait was hidden in them. Her dress collected random cobwebs as she moved through the corridors and the air grew more musty with the stench of old age. She tried picturing this part of the house still being in use, and wondered what all of these rooms would be used for.

After at least a half an hour Carolyn still hadn't found the portrait. She began wondering if her mother had. She further walked through the west wing, forgetting how large it really was. The rooms she had been going in had started to get larger, and the stuff inside them was rapidly multiplying. As she turned the knob to the next door, she found herself in what almost looked like a large storeroom. Boxes upon boxes lined the walls, and furniture, antiques, and everything else imaginable filled the floor. "This should take a while," she thought, as she entered the room.
Carolyn Stoddard
Carolyn Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

PART 1: Aroused Interests (Carolyn/Elizabeth/Mrs. Johnson) Empty In ELIZABETH STODDARDS point of view

Post  Carolyn Stoddard 26th August 2009, 18:38

Elizabeth Stoddard
Elizabeth left behind her daughter and headed towards the basement. It wasn’t her most favorite place to have to poke around for a long lost portrait, but she was just as anxious to find it as her daughter.
Making her way down into the dark, dusty basement full of who knew what, Elizabeth walked over to the light in the center of the room and turned on the hanging light. She sighed, as this place was very daunting and she hardly had the energy to shuffle through it all this evening. However, she had already convinced herself that she wasn’t going to give up that easily.

She decided to start in the most logical place first: at the foot of the stairs and work her way back and around. Most things were visible up front, but she understood that she would have to end up digging behind boxes and such to get to the older things. For a house that seemed so organized in all other places, why did the basement have to be an exception?

Time passed rather quickly as Elizabeth got lost in treasured and long forgotten items. Even though she knew she wouldn’t find the portrait in them, she still had desire to prowl around in old trunks and boxes. It amused her at some of the things that were stored down here: old dolls that were Carolyn’s, baby clothes, and other little odds and ins. There were also things that were hers, though most of it was just old clothes from many years back, or ones that just didn’t fit anymore.

After what seemed like an hour, Elizabeth decided to make her way back upstairs. She had grown a little tired and hungry from the looking around. She’d made a little progress, but it would still take another couple hours to finish the job thoroughly. Elizabeth turned the ceiling light off and climbed back up the stairs.

On her way to the drawing room, she was anxious to find out if Carolyn had found the portrait. Stopping to look at a clock along the way, she determined that she had in fact been in the basement longer than an hour. “I hope that Carolyn isn't impatiently waiting on me,” Elizabeth thought, as she entered the foyer and turned to enter the drawing room. To her surprise, however, Carolyn was nowhere to be found. “Oh well, I suppose that she too has forgotten about the time,” thought Elizabeth, as she passed up worrying.

Elizabeth decided to pour her a glass of brandy and sit by the fire and wait. She knew that Carolyn would turn up soon, and didn’t mind waiting a bit. After all, finding that portrait of Quentin would surely be worth any wait.

~End Scene~
Carolyn Stoddard
Carolyn Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down