Collinsport Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PART 1: Nosey Business (Harry/Elizabeth/Julia)

3 posters

Go down

PART 1: Nosey Business (Harry/Elizabeth/Julia) Empty PART 1: Nosey Business (Harry/Elizabeth/Julia)

Post  Harry Johnson 1st December 2009, 18:52

Harry Johnson had arrived at Collinwood the night before and had been graciously allowed to spend the night in an inviting room upstairs. He'd had a few times to snoop around here and there, and was very pleased to see all of the antiques and one of a kind valuables that embellished the entire house. He knew not to disturb anything, as if someone were to notice, he would surely be the likely culprit, even after he was long gone.

The morning was a nice one, and as Harry walked downstairs to go to the kitchen for a cup of coffee, his attention was grasped by faint talking from inside the drawing room. Though the doors were closed, he noticed that if he got just close enough then he would be able to hear. Beings how he hadn't seen anyone yet this morning, Harry decided it safe to do a little listening in; it wasn't like anyone would notice.

As he quietly stood with his ear up against the door, he just could make out the voices inside. It was a conversation between two women, one of which was Mrs. Stoddard. Loosing track of time, he stood and listened . . .
Harry Johnson
Harry Johnson
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

PART 1: Nosey Business (Harry/Elizabeth/Julia) Empty Re: PART 1: Nosey Business (Harry/Elizabeth/Julia)

Post  Elizabeth Stoddard 3rd December 2009, 15:55

Elizabeth Stoddard had sent Mrs. Johnson to the Old House with a message for Julia Hoffman. She was inviting the doctor for a mid-morning light brunch to talk about an unusual project she was requesting help on. Intrigued, Julia arrived at Collinwood and after some coffee, homebaked scones and pleasant chat they arrived at the matter at hand. The doors to the drawing room were closed and most people were gone from the house, so Elizabeth felt secure.

"The other evening at dinner, Cill mentioned that you were somewhat bored and it occurred to me that you might wish to help with a very sensitive situation that has arisen here at Collinwood." Elizabeth saw the interested look on Julia's face.

"Awhile back, the ghost of Quentin Collins started bothering Carolyn again. He tends to be a bully with her because she is easily frightened. Anyway, he insisted that we go to a closed off room in the west wing and he seemed angry about the condition of it. We found the skeleton of a man that Quentin demanded that we remove. It wasn't him; Quentin was much taller and the man wasn't dressed as Quentin would have been."

Now Elizabeth saw that she had Dr. Hoffman's full attention and knew that her story would be kept safe. "I simply couldn't bear the thought of calling Sheriff Patterson after all he's been through with this family. And surely we've suffered enough from all the gossip and cruel things people have said about us and this house. So, I had Joe Haskell bury him in the woods. He and I and Carolyn are the only ones who know about this. Carolyn seems to have blocked it out although I do think she is worried about Quentin bothering her again. I'd like to just forget about the matter but now I am wondering about who the man is and more importantly, how he died. How could he have been locked up and left to die in this house? I suppose we could have a seance and ask Quentin, but I'd rather we get some idea of what we are dealing with first. I don't know if Joe would be willing to dig up the body again so we could look at it. Maybe it's foolish of me and I should just leave well enough alone. What do you think Julia?"
Elizabeth Stoddard
Elizabeth Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

PART 1: Nosey Business (Harry/Elizabeth/Julia) Empty Re: PART 1: Nosey Business (Harry/Elizabeth/Julia)

Post  Julia Hoffman 3rd December 2009, 23:40

Julia smiled at the woman who had been such a good friend to her. "Of course I'll be happy to help Mrs. Stoddard. It's true, things have been going well lately and I'm kind of restless. I can see how you would have wanted to simply be done with the skeleton, but it's going to haunt you until you get more information."
She poured herself and Elizabeth another cup of coffee. "I agree that the fewer people who know about it, the safer it will be. We could probably manage digging it up, although it would be unpleasant. I could determine an approximate age and check for bullet or stab wounds.....that sort of thing. Perhaps we could read in old records of anyone disappearing around that time."

We need to be efficient but safe, she thought. Quentin has useful information, I'm sure, but from what I've heard about him, he can be most disagreeable.

"Don't worry, I'm sure we can find out more without alarming everyone or inviting the curiousity of prying eyes and ears."
Julia Hoffman
Julia Hoffman
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Harry Johnson 4th December 2009, 16:04

Harry just could make out a line of the conversation here and there. " . . . found the skeleton of a man . . . dig up the body again . . . " Harry listened more closely as the other person began talking again, realizing that they were agreeing to participate in this unusual behavior.

Harry knew his mother had talked about the Collins family from time to time, but she had never said anything that would lead him to actually assume that he was actually hearing what he thought he was hearing. Could the Collins really have dead corpses in closed off rooms, and if so, how did they get there in the first place.

Becoming more and more intrigued, Harry continued listening to the conversation that was unfolding on the other side of the doors. Thoughts upon thoughts began to stream through his mind, and he felt it would be stupid not to continue to eavesdrop; this was, obviously, something of great deal of importance and secrecy.
Harry Johnson
Harry Johnson
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth Stoddard 5th December 2009, 02:06

"I think I won't bother Carolyn with this just yet and we'll need to be careful that David and Cill aren't disturbed by it. Cill hasn't been here that long and I don't want her to feel worried or insecure. I can tell Mrs. Johnson that I'm just examining the grounds and I'll meet you tomorrow at the Old House," Elizabeth said.

"I'd rather not involve Barnabas or Roger, mostly because I simply don't want to hear what they might have to say about it." Elizabeth noticed Julia's nod of understanding and agreement.

"Oh, and Mrs. Johnson's son Harry is staying here. I'm allowing it because I value her so much, but I don't trust him at all. There's something sneaky and sly about him so I surely don't want him to know anything about this."
Elizabeth Stoddard
Elizabeth Stoddard
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Harry Johnson 5th December 2009, 15:50

Harry continued listening to the two women, guessing that they were about finished with their talking. Just as he started to quietly move away from the door and head towards the kitchen, he heard his name, which caught his attention, causing him to stop where he was, and continue to listen in.

He clearly heard that Mrs. Stoddard didn't trust him, which didn't seem unusual to Harry; he knew that he wasn't guarded as the most trustworthy person there ever was. However, given the circumstances, Harry thought about the position he was in. He had just gained very vital information, information that he could use to get whatever he wanted if he played his cards right.

With a smile on his face, Harry again turned away from the door and headed towards the kitchen, leaving the two women to say their goodbyes in secrecy.
Harry Johnson
Harry Johnson
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia Hoffman 5th December 2009, 16:51

"I'll wait for you at the Old House tomorrow morning. I'll borrow some tools from Willie; both he and Barnabas will be gone. I'll also bring my medical bag so I can examine the skeleton."

Julia frowned and then went ahead and mentioned. "It may be that I can do the examination right there, but there's a slight chance that I'll need to move the skeleton to the cellar of the Old House. I suppose we can do that also, but if we need help I think Willie would be the best choice. We'd have to wait until he gets back from Bangor."

The women opened the drawing room doors and walked into the foyer. Why does it feel like someone was just here, Julia thought. Odd, it's someone that I don't believe I've met. Actually, it feels like two distinct personalities. I won't mention it, Mrs. Stoddard has quite a lot on her mind.

Julia smiled a final goodbye to Mrs. Stoddard, only vaguely aware that they were being observed by the spirit that had been connected to the skeleton.

~end scene~
Julia Hoffman
Julia Hoffman
Condemned For Witchcraft
Condemned For Witchcraft

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down